[rules-users] Need clarification on how event expiration offset is calculated in 5.3.0.FINAL

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:53:28 EST 2011

   Scott,

   The event expiration algorithm in Drools works with compile time
analysis of temporal constraints. It calculates the transitive closure on
the temporal intervals created by each temporal constraint and from that it
infers the required time for an event to stay in memory, expiring them
after that. Some interactions are pretty hard to calculate manually, but as
you already realized, you can enable the Drools MBeans and use jconsole (or
visualvm as you mentioned) to inspect them.

    In your case, first things first, I assume you are running the engine
in STREAM mode? the default is CLOUD mode, and in CLOUD mode there is no
expiration of events. Second, there was a bug in one of the released
versions of Drools (I think 5.2 or 5.3) that was fixed after where the
calculation was wrong if the events were in different packages. Finally,
you are using external timestamps for the events (on its attributes), so
make sure your clock is in line with the externally timestamped events.

    If everything I mentioned is working as expected and your events are
still not being expired, please try adding an explicit expiration policy
(e.g., @expires( 1m ) ), and submit a bug (JIRA) with your findings.

    Edson

  Edson Tirelli
  JBoss Drools Core Development