[rules-users] 答复: Performance consideration in rule writing

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 10:15:20 EST 2011

On 26/12/2011, Zhuo Li <milanello1998 at gmail.com> wrote:
> //Abe: it definitely makes a difference if you put differentiator conditions
> at the beginning ¨C this way RETE won¡¯t waste efforts constructing networks
> which will not fulfill. See below example.
>
> rule "Evaluation of assignment in r-value position"
> no-loop true
> when
>  $statement:CStatement($value:value)
>  eval(Matcher.isRVExpression($value))
>
>  eval(0==Matcher.getClauseNum())
> then
>  System.out.println($value);
>  modify($statement){
>   setSemantics(Matcher.getRVSemantics(memory,$value));
>  }
> end
>
> rule "Evaluation of assignment clause in r-value position without updating
> memory"
> no-loop true
> when
>  $statement:CStatement($value:value)
>  eval(Matcher.isRVExpression($value))
>
>  eval(0<Matcher.getClauseNum())
> then
>  System.out.println("=="+$value);
>  Matcher.decreaseClauseNum();
>  modify($statement){
>   setSemantics(Matcher.getRVSemanticsWithoutUpdate(memory,$value));
>  }
> end

This is quite different from the rules in the original post. It is
generally not advisable to access and modify static variables, here:
clauseNum in class Matcher, i.e., not a fact.

>  //Abe: I saw below statement from Drools document 5.2.0. As Eval is not
> indexed, overuse of evale reduces the rules¡¯ clarity and will result in a
> bad performance.

Needlessly using eval is not good; if you have to use it you won't be
able to avoid it.

> 3.       What¡¯s you guys¡¯ naming convention for rule¡¯s salience?
>
> Not clear what you mean by that.
>
> //Abe: I mean how do you weight your salience values across different rules.
> I¡¯ve seen various styles in my project ¨C somebody uses 100, 200, 300 but
> somebody uses 90, 100, 110, 120, etc. This is not a big problem as they are
> working on different rules and won¡¯t pollute each other. However I would
> still try to make it consistent so maintain each other¡¯s rule files will be
> easier¡­

Making your rules depend on salience isn't good practice, certainly
not with more than 3 levels (my personal definition). The sort of
multi-level salience you're indicating could be an indication that
procedural style if-then-elsif logic has been fitted into rules.

-W