[rules-users] Drools 5 Memory Issues

drools.user drools.user at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 16:16:58 EST 2011

We are planning on moving from Drools 3.0.5 to Drools 5.2.0. In Load Testing
of Drools 5.2, we faced some issues:

1. KnowledgeBaseImpl Object in Drools 5 is almost 50% bigger than
ReteooRuleBase Object of Drools 3.
2. The server heap memory usage keeps on increasing during Load Testing to
finally give OutOfMemory error and crash.

We are using StatefulKnowledgeSession and calling dispose() after
fireAllRules().

So, the questions we have are:

1. Looking at the heap snapshot, we noticed > 300,000 Objects for some of
Drools Classes (e.g. org.drools.reteoo.LeftTupleImpl) occupying > 25MB in
heap memory. Is that normal?

2. Is there any Memory Leak issues with Drools 5?

3. What is the advantage of using KnowledgeBase vs RuleBase? Is it fine to
use RuleBase in Drools 5?

4. We are using Drools 5.2. Has anything changed significantly in Drools
5.3? Will moving to that help in our memory issues?

Thanks