[rules-users] Rewriting rules

jwillans2 james.willans at ceteva.com
Wed Feb 9 09:06:16 EST 2011

Hello,

We have a rule set that need to be rewritten before being loaded into the
knowledge base.  The rewrite can only be determined by data known at
runtime.  Currently we can achieve this by performing string subsitutions on
the rules, however I'd like to explore more efficient (and less clumsy) ways
of doing this.

It looks like rule templates could be a less error-prone way of achieving
the same end through the use of place holders, but it still requires for the
resultant rule strings to be recompiled.  I was wondering whether it is
practical to store the rules in compiled form, and then perform the
rewriting on the loaded data structures?  Any suggestions and/or experience
of techniques would be very welcome.

Thanks,

James