[rules-users] Type Declaration upgrade

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Feb 14 15:29:52 EST 2011

On 14/02/2011 18:10, Edson Tirelli wrote:

>    The current version of Drools does not support dynamic changes in
> "type declarations" and I don't see this changing anytime soon. The
> reason is that not only the actual fact would require changes, but the
> actual knowledge base would require changes as several nodes might be
> referencing the old class.
>
>    So, to update a fact type you need to recreate the knowledge base.
> This is the same, BTW, than changing one of your fact classes in your
> application jars... you need to recompile the knowledge base or you
> will end up with class cast exceptions, sooner or later.
Longer term there are two ways to achieve this
1) type declarations can only be modified if there is no data on them
and the existing rules are still valid after the change, i.e. it will
not effect the current state.

2) If ther eare existing facts a migration script must be provided that
handles the mapping as all beans would need to be copied to the new type
declaration.

Mark