[rules-users] Expose JBoss rules as webservice

Corneil du Plessis corneil at tsctech.com
Thu Feb 17 06:13:28 EST 2011

The short high-level answer is:

You can use JBoss Tools or Eclipse plugins for Drools to create various
kinds of rules.
You can use JBoss Drools Guvnor to manage rules and create rules.

Before you can create rules you need to provide a data model of some
kind, typically a collection of Java classes that will be the 'facts'
that rules are applied to.

In order to execute rules you initialise working memory with rules and
facts and the rules are fired.

This implies that a lot of what happens is specific to your data model.
Thus you will have to develop that code that decides how your model
interacts with the rules.

Drools provides an agent that can interact with Drools Guvnor to
retrieve the rules instead of using some local storage.
Your code will have to initialise the agent and then rules will be
retrieved from Guvnor and executed locally.

You can also use integration tools like Apache Camel or Spring
Integration and invoke Drools from within an integration flow.
Drools Server provides remote execution of rules via a RESTful API and
other mechanisms for Apache Camel.

Hope this gives you some direction.

--

Corneil du Plessis - Software Architect