[rules-users] Migrating from one environment to another

David Faulkner david.faulkner at amentra.com
Thu Feb 17 09:53:05 EST 2011

Chris,

Using WebDAV is probably the best way of doing this. When you copy a rule into the appropriate location from one WebDAV directory to another, Guvnor will pick up that rule and install it in the specified location in the repository.

One thing that's very important to note is that only a subset of the information available in Guvnor is available through WebDAV (or the REST API)! At this point, my understanding is that it's practically impossible to get some of the rule metadata out of Guvnor; the work on the AtomPub interface may address a lot of these concerns. But if your plan is to do something like migrate documentation or test cases and not just rules, make sure you test the feasibility first!

My understanding from reading previous posts and discussions related to this is that the details of this type of Guvnor-Guvnor migration are hard. Do you import the whole history? What if the users from one instance aren't in the other? What do you do if categories and statuses aren't available? I agree that despite these issues that this is still an obviously useful feature.

David Faulkner
david.faulkner at amentra.com<mailto:david.faulkner at amentra.com>