[rules-users] How to get correct version of rules based on effective date

Faisal Shafique just_faisal at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 10:36:38 EST 2011

Thats a good question I should have been more clear. Better example would be something like Federal Tax. Lets say there was a tax deduction allowed for buying a hybrid car in 2008. In 2009, due to changes in tax policy, this deduction is not allowed anymore. In 2010, policy again changed to allow this deduction but only for half the cost of the car. Now lets say that a person is filing for tax year 2008, 2009 and 2010 together. Effective date for running the tax rules would be 2008, 2009 and 2010 in this case. User will enter these dates on screen one by one, running the rules each time and calculate their taxes. System should be able to use correct rules which were effective at the time as per the effective date that user enters.
To answer your question, rules themselves change and not just parameters. We already have a db based infrastructure for pulling out correct parameters (e.g tax bracket limits) based on effective date.
As its a huge eligibility system, rules changes because of policy are common and this is a very common use case for government eligibility systems. We need a way to implement this which is performant, scalable (e.g should not slow down over time because of different rules versions) and easily maintanable.
Somebody mentioned about pulling correct version from repository. That IMHO is more like version control system and very coarse grained. We need to be able to version rule by rule or may be resource like drl files.
Thanks for your help.