[rules-users] Object updated as rules are running

Jon Gil jonsprogrammingemail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:16:51 EST 2011

Hi, I have a very simple rules flow that I am getting odd results from.  For
now, our project is planning on using spreadsheets  and a drools server.

The test project we are working on accepts a movie name from an external
source and creates a Movie object that is passed to the rules.   The first
rule looks at the movieName attribute and assigns it a movieStar using the
Movie objects setMovieStar call.  We have printLn statements before and
after this action to confirm that it does in fact work.

The second rule, where things go wrong, checks the MovieStar attribute, but
no matter what we've just set it to, it always uses the value
("NoStarYet") that was originally created when we create the Movie object in
our Java code in the condition of our second rule.  We've tried using the
getMovieStar call in the condition, but it has been throwing errors when we
startup the Drools Server.

When we retreive the Movie object from the resultSet, the movieStar
attribute is set correclty, but we can't get our flow to go as expected.

This really seems like a simple issue, but we've had no luck with it.  Any
thoughts?  Does the rules engine use the getter methods for conditions or
does it use the values from the entityXML we pass in?  Is there a way to
make the engine update the object between running each rule?

Any help is appreciated greatly.