[rules-users] KnowledgeAgent exception while trying to deserialize

John Peterson john.peterson.gv3k at statefarm.com
Wed Jan 5 11:59:26 EST 2011

Mike,

I believe this is the first time we've tried running anything from
workstation to server.  Essentially what happened was that I did the
upgrade of the drools-guvnor.war file and then we fired up the server
following the upgrade.  I checked out the server environment to see that
it was using the new version of Guvnor (i.e. new features, like
reporting, etc.) and it checked out fine.  I turned it over to my
business partners to start building a new rule app.

I installed the new Guvnor-standalone to my workstation (based on 5.1.1)
and then started building a java application.  I used the local copy to
with some dummy rules to verify that my eclipse app was talking to the
local server correctly, which it was.  It wasn't until about 2 weeks ago
we tried to switch my eclipse app to talk to the new Guvnor app built by
the business partners that we started seeing the problem.  Since we were
working with a new app, post-update, we never tried to connect prior to
the update.

The specific error - "KnowledgeAgent exception while trying to
deserialize KnowledgeDefinitionsPackage" - seems to imply an
incompatibility between Drools in eclipse and Guvnor from what I've
gathered from Google, mailing lists, etc.  It is this issue that is
leading towards the idea of just exporting the repository, installing
the .zip of the Guvnor-standalone I used for my workstation locally to
the server, and then importing the repository.

I hope that helps answer your questions.  Thanks for your help so
far....

John

Message: 5