[rules-users] Is Drools appropriate for this app scenario?

Sebastien Chevalier Sebastien.Chevalier at web.de
Wed Jan 26 06:27:57 EST 2011

@plugtreelabs: First of all, thank you very much for your response and hints.

@all: As I'm still not quire sure how to realize my scenario:
Please, could someone provide me with some diagrams or architectural
sketches of a typical rules-based e-commerce web application? -- Or at least
point me to online resources on that topic, especially showing the
integration of the RBMS in a web app?

This would really help me out a lot at the moment.

_Recap:
The main goal is that endusers shall, on the one hand, define almost the
whole set of entities and rules in an initial shop
specification/configuration process, and on the other hand, this set shall
be modifiable later on (primarily through enhancements, not restrictions).
The entity set basically is: customer types, product categories, products,
product packages, customer(type)-to-product(type) price assignments (i.e.
pricing rules), and inter-product/package selection rules, ...all of these
dynamically definable via a WebUI and in a manner appropriate for
non-technical end-users (considering declarative programming a good approach
for this(?)).

The most dynamic parts will be the multi-dimensional pricing tables in terms
of (a) their schema -- when new pricing parameters (=dimensions) like
delivery distance are added -- and (b) their value contents -- when concrete
prices change.
Another quite dynamic part will be the inter-product selection rule
specifications from which a "smart" e-catalog will be generated for the
client-side. Such rules will state sth. like:
"Prod A must always be ordered with Prod B", "Prod B can never be ordered
when Package C is selected", and similar.
--

Currently, some "high-level architectural layouts" of a simple, rules-based
e-commerce web app (Which components are necessary in which place? And which

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Best regards
  Sebastien