[rules-users] Is Drools appropriate for this app scenario?

Sebastien Chevalier Sebastien.Chevalier at web.de
Thu Jan 27 08:09:36 EST 2011

Dear Jeff:

First, thank you very much for your quick reply.

Concerning your StoneSide shop, yes indeed this is pretty much the
functionality that I target, and it is a proof that it works well for a
*web* app.
If I got it right, you used a pure *server*-centric rules-based architecture
based on Java, Drools (Expert, Guvnor(?)) and Wicket, right?

(1) ...But, how did you realize the shop owner UI, the one where (s)he can
define the rules? Is it a web interface too, probably reusing Guvnor
components, or a separate stand-alone app?

Relative to the internal architecture:
(2) Could you please give me some more hints on which arch components are
working under the covers?
     -- Especially:

    (2a) Which top-level components are used and which interface type do
they provide?
    (2b) Which rule "types" must be in place?  (please, see next paragraph
for details)

I suppose that, following a layered architecture, you'll need rules at every
of the arch layers, most obviously "data/entity based rules" and
"presentation based rules". Less obvious to me is, if actually necessary
(?), the "data-to-presentation mapping mechanism" which extracts facts from
the data layer and places the required artifacts onto the presentation,
probably having also some rules for injecting custom presentation and/or
collection/storage behavior into the components (i.e., rules in the
controller layer).

Are these assumptions correct?

(3) How do your rules (rule types) typically look like, and how work they
together (map on each other)???

(4) Do you also use rules for "entity metadata definition" (i.e., dyn.
compositions of entity types from predefined property components)?

I'd really be very grateful for the clarification of these issues and/or any
further-helping descriptions.
Thank (all of) you very much in advance.

Best regards
   Sebastien