[rules-users] Drools Flow persistence to HBase

Daniel Nathanson dan at ddnconsulting.com
Thu Jan 27 23:08:42 EST 2011

Has anyone ever tried to persist Drools Flow processes to HBase (or
some other NoSQL DB)?  We are working on a cloud-based system sitting
with HDFS and HBase for storage.  We would rather not introduce a
RDBMS into the architecture simply to support Drools Flow's JPA
requirement for persistence.

I've looked at datanucleus' JPA implementation which can talk to
HBase, but from my limited knowledge of JPA, it doesn't look like
their JPA for HBase implementation supports the Drools JPA
requirements.  Specifically, HBase does not support generation of
record IDs, joins, or inner selects. Similarly, it doesn't look like
the Hadoop JDBC driver (with Hibernate) will work for the same reasons.

Regards,

Dan Nathanson