[rules-users] drools - packaging creates a full snapshot...why?

Jervis Liu jliu at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 07:01:29 EDT 2011

On 2011/6/30 9:06, jcrowe wrote:
> I have been using drools for almost a year now and build several packages a
> day.  Things are starting to slow down a bit and I've started to wonder if
> it is because of all the workspace copies and the jcr overhead of them.  I
> have implemented a deletion of old workspace copies but this made me wonder
> why drools is doing (in RulesRepository):
>              this.session.getWorkspace().copy( source, newName );

The package snapshot is created only when you explicitly request Guvnor
to do so (through the "Create snapshot for deployment" button on package
editor). And it does not copy the whole work space, it only copies the
package to the snapshot area. You can always remove the package
snapshots if you do not needs them anymore.
> its not like i need a copy, once the package is built, it doesn't seem to
> 'rebuild it' from this snapshot.  I have no way of "recovering to" this
> snapshot.
Package snapshot is a readonly copy (a snapshot) of a package at a
certain time, it serves as a simple version control mechanism for
packages. Start from Drools 5.3, package snapshot is not needed anymore
as we provide a much more powerful versioning support for packages based
on JCR versioning. Reverting a package will be possible, though this has
not been implemented yet (check
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/GUVNOR-1519).

Cheers,
Jervis