[rules-users] Guvnor another few questions...

Justin Case send_lotsa_spam_here at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 11:15:07 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I played a bit with 5.2.0.Final and I have a couple of more questions, I don't
know whether I misread the documentation or I just expect too much...

1. Can I use functions in a web decision table columns? Because if yes, I just
can't figure out how... Either way would be good, calling a function defined in
Guvnor or calling a static function of some model class (like
ModelClass.getMyParameter(...) ). Anything which would result to an eval()
block... or should I use a "formula" caclulation type then enter in each cell
the same eval(function()) call? Even so, I still need a rule like:
rule"mine"
when
  eval($var.myFunction($date.lastTime))...

2. I see discussions about translations of Guvnor GUI, and I see them mentioning
a certain Constants.properties file. I can't see that file anywhere in my
installation, nor any other language translation for that matter although French
and Spanish were mentioned. Is there by chance a German translation around, and
even if no, how can one generate and use one?

3. I have the feeling that uploading a new version of the POJO model jar updates
the existing classes only. That is, if I remove a class from the Java model and
upload it again, then package validation will fail because it doesn't find the
old class (even when NOT used by any rule or anything I know of). Wasn't there
somewhere a Guvnor dialog where one could remove POJO model classes by hand one
by one? I kind of remember such a class list...

4. And is it really that way that uploading a new POJO model requires an
application restart to actually use it?

5. If I upload something from Eclipse it lands under "Other assets,
documentation" even if they are Java classes which I hoped would land under
Model... is there anything I can do about that? A Java POJO model once uploaded
is just a jar blob afterwards, not usable from Eclipse anymore...

6. The declarative model defined in Guvnor is not much usable in Eclipse either,
comes as an unrecognized text file. I didn't try to edit it in Eclipse, the lack
of integration in the application classes would bring nothing. Could the
declarative model mapped somehow to some Java classes (or generate classes out
of it)?

7. Clicking a Guvnor repository business rule file in Eclipse throws a WebDav
error "not found", both for brl and gdsl files. Could it have to do with the
fact that the package doesn't validate at the moment?

8. Clicking in Eclipse in the Guvnor perspective a freshly created rule flow
(nothing uploaded yet) throws an exception as well...

9. If I have a model class with a field called aThing, it will have an accessor
called getAThing(). Guvnor after POJO import will keep both capitals - thus in
the field selection dropdowns I will have the field AThing... should this be my
only problem.

Thank you for any answers,
JC