[rules-users] drools-server empty response body

lhorton LHorton at ABCLegal.com
Fri Jul 22 17:52:01 EDT 2011

I am new to calling Rest services and using drools-server.  I configured the
camel-server.xml and knowledge-services.xml rest service to use xstream
marshalling, added my rules and pojo model to the war, and deployed it on
tomcat.  I wrote a java http client to run the rest service.  This is the
batch command that I'm sending:

  <set-global identifier="logger">
    <org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger>

<name>com.abclegal.rules.integration.StatusChangeTestIntegration</name>
    </org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger>
  </set-global>
  <insert>
    <com.abclegal.domain.step.VenueValidationStep>
      <id>0</id>
      <parentTaskId>0</parentTaskId>
      <status>PENDING</status>
      <activatable>false</activatable>
      <abortable>false</abortable>
      <completable>false</completable>
    </com.abclegal.domain.step.VenueValidationStep>
  </insert>
  <fire-all-rules/>
</batch-execution>

this is the rule:

rule "Activate VenueValidationStep"
dialect "mvel"
	when
		$step : VenueValidationStep(activatable == false, status ==
Status.PENDING)
	then
		logger.debug("activating VenueValidationStep");
		modify($step) {
			setActivatable(true),
			setStatus(Status.ACTIVE);
		};
		return($step);
end

when I run the client, I can see on the server log that the global was set
and the correct rule is running (it writes to the log using the global
logger), and i get a 200 response on the http post.  However, the response
body is empty except for the enclosing xml tags.  it contains only:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><execution-results/>

The behaviour I would like to happen is that the modified $step would be
returned from the http post.

Apologies if this is another dumb noob question - I hope it's just something
simple I've missed.  thanks for the help.