[rules-users] how to update object modified by call to remote web service

lhorton LHorton at ABCLegal.com
Thu Jul 28 13:22:29 EDT 2011

Thank you for the thorough explanation.  Now that I understand what the RHS
syntax can (and cannot) do, I am taking option 4 which is to revise the RMI
call, and modify the fact within the rule rather than within the remote
method.

my rule now looks like this:

$instruction = applicationService.applyInstruction($step);  // call now
returns an instruction
$step.setCurrentInstruction($instruction);  // set the step's instruction
locally in the rule

I'll keep your other options in mind if we have a more complex RMI to
handle, but for this situation, the above code works and is easy to
understand & maintain.

thanks again
L.