[rules-users] Condition syntax to access Map

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 15:07:01 EDT 2011

+1
Naw....
+billion

--- On Thu, 7/28/11, Edson Tirelli <ed.tirelli at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Edson Tirelli <ed.tirelli at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [rules-users] Condition syntax to access Map
To: "Rules Users List" <rules-users at lists.jboss.org>
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 1:13 PM

   All,
   I think we need to differentiate paradigms here. When using rules, contrary to imperative code, what we are doing is pattern matching.
X( a.b.c == <value> )

   In the above case, we are looking for Xs that make that whole constraint true (i.e. match). If a or b are null, the whole expression will be false, does not matter the value of c or the value it is being compared against. Raising a null pointer exception, IMO, brings no advantage at all to the table... on the contrary, makes writing rules more difficult.

   Another example we had in the past:
class Circle implements Shapeclass Square implements Shape
rule Xwhen    Circle() from $shapes
   In the above example, $shapes is a list and the rule is clearly looking for Circles. If there are Squares in there, they will just not match. Raising a ClassCastException like it would happen in an imperative language brings no advantage to the table, IMO.

   So, IMO, all property navigation should be null pointer safe in the LHS of the rules.
   This is not what happens today, but I think it should be fixed.

   Edson