[rules-users] Stateful vs. Stateless Session Performance

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 08:58:20 EDT 2011

On 29 July 2011 23:02, Ryan R. <ryanrolland at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a follow up question, do you think Drools and Rules Engines in general
> are the way to go for operations that distort object field values one
> object
> at a time? Would an embedded scripting language better fit this usecase?

The first Chapter of the "Expert" manual has the sections "Why (not) to use
a rule engine", and that's probably the best one can do for a remote
diagnosis.

> I also did some additional benchmarking with virtually the same stateful
> session setup.
>
> The below plot shows execution time of the rules engine for Java POJO
> (static) and MessagePack (Dynamic) Messages from 1000 - 200K messages in
> step sizes of 1000 messages. I was surprised to see the discrete jumps of 1
> second in execution time. I was also surprised to see that on the low end
> execution time for a few thousand messages was 1 second? That seemed slow
> and why the discrete jumps?

I'd suspect that the 1 second for 1k is some basic initialization that's
included in the measured interval. But I don't see how the time can remain
constant over wide ranges. (I take it that you were timing the overall
execution time for doing n*1000 messages.)

If MessagePack requires more memory than Pojo, the earlier jump to 2sec may
be due to garbage collection.

How did you obtain these times?
-W