[rules-users] How to validate literal values on the LHS of rules.

groovenarula gnarula1 at la-z-boy.com
Sat Mar 5 18:28:02 EST 2011

Manstis,

You are correct. There are parameters that users will provide in the
spreadsheet that I need to validate. Actually there will be one spreadsheet.
It's going to serve 2 purposes. Provide a decision table AND also be a
container of data for a few Rule Templates. The concept is that if a product
does not match any criteria on the spreadsheet, then the next step is to
extract the data from the spreadsheet and create rules where the match would
be more 'generic'. So I'm planning to use the decision table to deduce the
more 'generic matching conditions'. In both cases, I need to be able to
validate the parameters in the spreadsheet against values in a data table.

Taking my earlier example - The user might provide product attributes - e.g.
product number ABC510 in the spreadsheet. I have to ensure that the ABC510
is a valid product number before I can allow the spreadsheet to be used as
the source of my rules (the actual rules will determine the price that will
be charged for the product).

I'll be able to easily create a new set of rules to validate the product
information against the data table we have. That should not pose a major
problem. The question is how to easily convert the spreadsheet into an
arraylist of facts that I can insert into this rule set. I know I can
'program' this manually using POI etc. I'm looking to see if there's a less
fragile way to load the spreadsheet as facts ? If there is a quicker way,
I'd love to hear about it.

Hope that makes more sense and is a little clearer than mud :).