[rules-users] not sure if this is a bug of drools or my bad usage...

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 02:41:57 EST 2011

I think there is some fundamental error in deriving truths from givens and
other derived facts that are then interpreted as given truths, and,
moreover, with subtly varying semantics. In terms of graph theory:
reachability is based on (directed) edges, but it does not establish
additional edges.

Deriving Reachability should be done by:

rule deriveLink
when
    Link( $a: a, $b: b )
then
    insertLogical(new Reachable($a,$b));
    System.out.println( "ins reach " + $a + " " + $b );
end

rule deriveReachReach
no-loop true
when
    Reachable( $a: a, $b: b )
    Reachable( a == $b, $c: b != $a )
then
    insertLogical(new Reachable($a,$c));
end

Ideally, I would like to use
   not Reachable(a == $a, b == $c)
instead of the (last resort) no-loop in the second rule, but Drools' truth
maintenance is incomplete: it does not let your define the logical
dependency on part of the condition (i.e., excluding the CE "not" in this
case).

-W