[rules-users] Misunderstanding salience?

David Faulkner david.faulkner at amentra.com
Tue Mar 8 22:51:13 EST 2011

Peter,

The EXACT way to accomplish the functionality that you are looking for is "activation-group"; if two rules are in the same activation group, only one of them will fire. Note that the rule with HIGHER salience will fire first; to accomplish what you are looking for you'd have to give the exception rule a higher salience.

I would also note that although there are specific instances where activation-group has a strong need, many in the community find that the most power and flexibility from the rule engine comes from "letting go" of trying to exactly order your rule execution, and instead letting the rule engine decide what would happen here. One way to accomplish this in your case would be to simply add (isZombie == false) to your constraint on the general rule.  Another way that involves salience but NOT agenda groups is to set a high salience on your exception rule, but only add advice if advice is null. The possibilities are endless.

With kind regards,
David Faulkner
david.faulkner at amentra.com