[rules-users] Misunderstanding salience?

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 02:36:27 EST 2011

Hello Peter,

Perhaps I'm overly apprehensive, but I feel compelled to throw in a word of
warning concerning the idea of creating high salience rules for "special
cases" so as to avoid using a full set of constraints for clear separation
of the "symptom sets". Assuming (for the moment) that all symptoms are
booleans, let's say that we have to deal separately with the special cases
s1&&s2 as opposed to s1&&s2&&s3, s1, and s2. Clearly, you cannot have them
all at the same salience level. Given that this is realistic:

   - Will your "clinical content experts" be able to assign the correct set
   of salience values?
   - Who will validate this, and how?

Also, what if none of the "special" rules fires so that the "general case"
kicks in but there is a set of deviations from the norm, hitherto
unobserved?

Clearly, adding all the negatives is tedious work, but that's what code
generators are there for. Using decision tables with suitable defaults would
be one way of dealing with this. I'd even investigate the implementation of
a special decision table parser/compiler for this use case.

-W