[rules-users] Agenda Groups and Salience

Dean Whisnant dean at basys.com
Fri Mar 18 10:16:59 EDT 2011

Hello,

Are there any conflicts in 5.1 between using salience and agenda groups?

I have three sets of rules 1) base software, 2) Trading Partner Specific, 3)  Customer Specific.

These three sets are split into different Guvnor packages and all of #1 have an agenda group of "base", all of #2 have an agenda group of "tradingpartner" and all of #3 have no agenda group assigned.

We load all the rules to the knowledge session, letting it know to fire them in that order.

In my #1 set I have a few hundred rules.  About 10 of those rules it matters what individual order they fire in so I was setting up salience for them as well.

Rule #1 has a salience of 21000 and it's job is to see if this is the first line item of a claim and if so to instantiate a new object, hasCOB.

Rule #2 has a salience of 20900 and checks to see if the incoming claim is medicare and if so, sets a Boolean, hasMedicare, to true and then does some output so I know if it set it

Rule #3 has a salience of 20900 and checks to see if the incoming claim is other insurance and if so, sets a Boolean, hasOther, to true and then does some output so i know if it set it

Rule #4 has a salience of 20800 and looks to see if there is a hasCOB object with hasMedicare = to true and then does output so I know if it worked

Rule #5 has a salience of 20800 and looks to see if there is a hasCOB object with hasOther = to true and then does output so I know if it worked

So I run a sample file through that hasCOB and should set hasOther to true.

Rule #1 fires and creates hasCOB
Rule #3 fires and sets hasOther to true and gives me output
Rule #5 doesn't fire???

Whether or not salience is the best method to accomplish this, shouldn't this work?  DO you see a better way to accomplish this?  Rules 4 and 5 are dummy rules here for testing, but what comes next is calculations based upon the existence of hasOther and/or hasMedicare.

I'm at a loss here and any thoughts/help would be welcomed...

Thank you!

Dean