[rules-users] Using Drools to model and solve a production scheduling problem with changeovers

Andrei Neboian andrei.neboian at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:03:35 EDT 2011

Dear All,

I am looking for a user-friendly platform which would allow me to model and
solve a
*production scheduling problem with changeover times*. Since it's an NP-Hard
problem, I am getting convinced that a CP formulation would be most
appropriate. Later on, a GUI should be designed to allow a user to interact
with the model.

Is "drools" a proper platform for this? Are there any examples of this type
of problem solved with Drools?

I need to tackle a problem with 4 parallel machines, over 100 jobs and 100
changeovertypes (sequence dependant setup times between each job).

I would appreciate any help on this! Thanks

Kind Regards,
Andrei