[rules-users] Moving Rules and/or Packages from one Guvnor instance to another

Dean Whisnant dean at basys.com
Thu Mar 31 09:32:10 EDT 2011

Hello,

My Guvnor development environment has 2 servers, DEV and TEST. A typical lifecycle includes Business Analysts and developers authoring rules on DEV in multiple packages and then doing releases to the TEST server for our QA folks to verify our work.  Eventually, we will also bring our production server into the mix once QA is complete.

It is somewhat painful to move rules between servers as the only 100% successful method I have is to use guvnor's export/import feature that exports the entire repository and the restores it in my TEST environment.  I dislike the opportunity that someone has changed or is in the middle of changing a rule in package B on the DEV server and when I deploy to TEST changes for package A, the package B rules move as well.

Does anyone have a reliable method of moving individual rules between servers? How about moving just the contents of one package?

I downloaded and used a tool called Cyberduck and it seemed to do things well, but when moving from one server to another we lose the categories on the individual rules.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Dean