[rules-users] JBRULES-2796 - NullPointerException in FromNode.destroyCreatedHandles

Gareth Evans gevans at geneoz.com
Wed May 4 21:14:17 EDT 2011

Hello,

I think I am getting the same/similar problem as described in
JBRULES-2796. I am using Drools 5.1.1 with Expert and Flow, here is
the stack trace:

	at org.drools.reteoo.FromNode.destroyCreatedHandles(FromNode.java:336)
	at org.drools.reteoo.FromNode.retractLeftTuple(FromNode.java:326)
	at
org
.drools
.reteoo
.CompositeLeftTupleSinkAdapter
.doPropagateRetractLeftTuple(CompositeLeftTupleSinkAdapter.java:238)
	at
org
.drools
.reteoo
.CompositeLeftTupleSinkAdapter
.propagateRetractRightTuple(CompositeLeftTupleSinkAdapter.java:155)
	at org.drools.reteoo.JoinNode.retractRightTuple(JoinNode.java:151)
	at org.drools.reteoo.ObjectTypeNode.retractObject(ObjectTypeNode.java:
232)
	at org.drools.reteoo.EntryPointNode.retractObject(EntryPointNode.java:
231)
	at
org
.drools
.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.retract(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:1288)
	at
org
.drools
.base.DefaultKnowledgeHelper.retract(DefaultKnowledgeHelper.java:201)
	at
org
.drools
.base.DefaultKnowledgeHelper.retract(DefaultKnowledgeHelper.java:214)
	at
procs
.Rule_my_business_rule_0
.defaultConsequence(Rule_my_business_rule_0.java:8)
	at
procs
.Rule_my_business_rule_0DefaultConsequenceInvoker
.evaluate(Rule_my_business_rule_0DefaultConsequenceInvoker.java:29)
	at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(DefaultAgenda.java:
917)

The stack trace is different to the one in JBRULES-2796 in that mine
is caused by a retract rather than an update.

We've created several Flows and associated rules and this issue has
only just come up with a recently created one.

Firstly, is this the same issue?

If it is, where could I find previous releases of Drools so that I may
try to downgrade? Alternatively is there some 5.1 -> 5.2 migration
documentation?

I have tried rewriting the rule that triggers this as there was a
comment on rules-dev that this made the error go away though I am
having trouble coming up with different ways to write it as it is
quite a simple rule. Is there something specific I should try to avoid?

--
Gareth Evans
Application Developer
gevans at geneoz.com

+61 8 9212 2200  (Phone)
+61 8 9212 2299  (Fax)

PO Box 1128
Bentley DC, WA 6983
AUSTRALIA

Now Introducing...
geneoz VMS
The Vivarium Management Solution
http://www.geneoz.com

This email contains information that is private and confidential
and must be read only by the person to whom it is addressed.
This email is not a contract and does not give rise to a legally
binding agreement. Prices quoted are valid for 30 days and are
subject to exchange rate fluctuations.