[rules-users] Firing the rule at the basis of time

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue May 10 01:32:25 EDT 2011

One way that might be implemented is via a single dedicated fact type (call
it Horloge) with a single field (temps). Then you could write all sorts of
relations with the times in your facts. In order to work in the context of
rete, Horloge's temps would have to be updated according to the progress of
time - but how big do you want your
chronons<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronon>to be? Right, this could
be made configurable. But how will this scale? Data
structures keeping a large number of integers in partially sorted order are
available<http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Courses/cs312/2007sp/lectures/lec25.html>,
but Rete works differently.

Assuming that all your time-dependent facts implement a specific interface,
and given Drools' WM event listener, it's easy to implement a solution for
timeouts that does not require periodic polling.

-W