[rules-users] [Drools Flow 5.1] Updating a process definition -> Proceed updates running processes

anton.litvinenko anton.litvinenko at gmail.com
Wed May 11 22:34:49 EDT 2011

but definition of "Proceed" seems to contradict that:

"Proceed: The running process instance proceeds as normal, following the
process (definition) as it was defined when the process instance was
started. As a result, the already running instance will proceed as if the
process was never updated. New instances can be started using the updated
process."

I mean, if process definition has a different id then this is a different
process definition and every method that used to start some particular
process based on its id, now needs to be updated to start processes based on
new id -> kinda makes the whole idea pointles, doesn't it?

And part about version really confuses me then -> it says that "you can use
the version parameter to show when a process is updated" which I interpret
that I can use version to tell Drools that these are two different versions
of process.

Seems like either I am dumb; documentation doesn't explain the real use case
of updating processes or this feature is not really thought through.