[rules-users] Architectural problems and web service call

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:52:47 EDT 2011

Hi,

Expert itself consumes rule definitions (DRL etc) and data (facts) with
which to reason.

The DRL can come from a variety of sources, one of which you mention is
Guvnor. In this instance a KnowledgeAgent can be used to poll (HTTP) the
web-server on which Guvnor resides for the DRL packages.

Guvnor itself uses JCR (Apache JackRabbit or JBoss ModeShape, as from 5.2)
to storage requirements. JackRabbit can be configured to write to a
database. It would be best for you to read about this technology on their
websites. Guvnor exposes a REST API (from 5.2) for manipulating various
artefacts (DRL etc) however it remains a repository for information. If you
were looking for a rules runtime, Drools Server (and I believe Drools Grid)
offer some of what you may desire, but I do not know sufficient about them
to comment on your integration and interaction.

With kind regards,

Mike