[rules-users] Update function usage for java objects to be retrieved for database update

dbfree75 wbismuth at yahoo.fr
Tue May 24 17:56:48 EDT 2011

Hello,

I'm new with Drools and I'm facing a problem I don't know how to solve.

I've defined several (>50 rules) each one is used to set a property of java
objects I inserted in the session (stateful session since I need to update
inserted facts).
As a result I get the updated objects and update my database.
Since rules must be fired depending of the properties set in previous rules,
I made use of the update function.
Since I need properties to be set, I make use of such constraint in When
section  : property == null
I suppose that any update on inserted facts make rules be evaluated again.
Thus, any update should fire again rules I know that will never be executed
: property will remain null (I didn't manage easily to create excluding
rules preventing such loop for all created rules).
Consequently, rules are fired again and again as many times as I update the
object.

How can I solve my problem and get acceptable perfomance in rules processing
?

Should I use update function for any property set or only for the last set
property to get the updated object ?

Thanks for your reply