[rules-users] drools date compare not working as documented

magaram magaram at deltadentalmi.com
Fri May 27 16:31:51 EDT 2011

hi -

  i am using drools-distribution-5.2.0.M2. Here is the drl i am using -

----------
dialect "mvel"

import com.deltadental.drools.sample.*

rule "Rule 01"
when
    $underageCustomer : Customer(dob>"15-May-1993")
    $order : Order(customerId == $underageCustomer.customerId)
    eval($order.discountPercentage == 0)
then
    $order.discountPercentage = 25;
    System.out.println("Rule 01 fired. Applied discount
"+$order.discountPercentage);
end
------------------

I get a RuntimeDroolsException: Exception executing predicate dob >
"15-May-1993"
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: uncomparable values <<Mon May 01
00:00:00 EDT 2000>> and <<15-May-1993>>

caused by a class cast exception - String cannot be converted to a Date.

I get the same exception with 5.1.1. I tried the same setting Locale and
drools.dateformat properties - no luck so far..

  Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Muk