[rules-users] Reuse of rule

Ansgar Konermann ansgar.konermann at googlemail.com
Mon May 30 10:45:00 EDT 2011

Am 30.05.2011 13:52, schrieb Küng Sabrina:
> Hello
>
> How can I write a rule, that can be used in several other packages
> resp. rulesets without copying the code?

Hi Sabrina,

the basic solution is  to pre-compile the rule into a *.pkg file and
load this file into any number of KnowledgeBase instances, then execute
your sessions against the respective knowledge base(s). If you want to
use declared types from a shared source code file, make sure to compile
them into a binary and always load them from this single binary, since
AFAICT otherwise the underlying java beans will belong to different
ClassLoaders and thus lead to problems (AFAICT) at runtime.

I'm working on a maven plugin which supports binary reuse of drools
rules, plus automatic dependency resolution between JARs and
pre-compiled knowledge modules.

The web site for this plugin is located here, but is currently really
out of date: http://passion.forco.de/content/maven-drools-plugin

A working plugin should be available shortly, and of course
documentation will be updated accordingly. You might want to bookmark
this page or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Best regards

Ansgar