[rules-users] newbie: Can rules planner provide me with the "single-steps" to the optimal binpacking solution ?

Itai Frenkel itaif at gigaspaces.com
Wed Nov 9 09:45:47 EST 2011

Hello,

I would like to solve a 2D binpacking problem. I have an existing bin-packing solution and would like to make it more "optimized". Each change (movement of items between bins) has a certain cost, and I would like to have a list of the least-cost path. There is more than one solution that is optimal.

Given an existing bin-packing solution I can tell if it is the optimal solution, and if not I can have a gross estimate to the distance to the optimal solution (although it is not guaranteed to be less than the actual distance).

It sounds to me that I need something like the A-Star algorithm. Can Drools help me in solving this problem ?

Thanks,
Itai