[rules-users] Bugs in Drools 5.3.0 break Fusion event processing

Richard Calmbach rcalmbac at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:33:00 EST 2011

Edson: Thanks for the quick reply. I created these JIRA issues:

F1: Duplicate job scheduling in
org.drools.time.impl.DefaultTimerJobInstance.call()
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3284

F2: NullPointerException in
org.drools.time.impl.DefaultTimerJobInstance.compareTo(DefaultTimerJobInstance)
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3285

F3: org.drools.time.TimerService.scheduleJob(Job, JobContext, Trigger)
suddenly requires non-null JobContext
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3286

While you are working on the event scheduling system, you may also want to
look at these two earlier bug reports for Drools 5.2.0:

Long.MAX_VALUE duration for "A and not(B after A)" type rules causes
invalid session clock time in rule RHS when running with pseudo clock
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3100

"A and not(B after A)" type rules don't fire when session clock has
negative values (pre Unix epoch)
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3103

I have not checked their status in Drools 5.3.0, but the description should
tell you whether they still apply.

FWIW, among all of these, F2 (JBRULES-3285) has the highest priority (as
it's breaking my unit tests), followed by F1 (JBRULES-3284). Thanks!

Vincent: Yes, I think there is risk. Even if you don't use jobs explicitly,
Drools uses the same event scheduling system for both internal events and
application-defined events and jobs. The main problem is this: How do you
establish correctness of your code and the overall system? Well, you make
sure your unit tests and functional tests pass. As it stands, I cannot get
my tests to pass with Drools 5.3.0, so I cannot put Drools 5.3.0 in
production. No matter which version you use, only good test coverage will
give you the assurance that your system is functioning properly. I
encourage you to try out Drools 5.3.0 (in a test environment) and to report
any issues you run into. It can only help make Drools better.