[rules-users] Showstopper issues for Drools Adoption in our organization

kapokfly ivan.jiang.ww at foxmail.com
Fri Nov 11 05:53:52 EST 2011

Not sure if these are also your questions you might have with the rule engine
adoption, but we have seen 2 showstopper issues for drools adoption in our
organization, or it is just because we are lack of some necessary knowledge.

Issue 1) : pattern match for large data

There are cases in a rule we need find matched records against a large
population of data and perform some actions.

Example:
    From 2 millions employee directory, find those belongs to Depart1 and
with salary increased by 10% last year.

    Inserting all these employee's data into WorkingMemory is HUGE and
mission impossible, we can't simply load the entire db into the working
memory, do we have any other approach to accomplish or this is just not a
use case can be resolved by a rule engine?

Issue 2): Map business object to real engineering implementation

What we are trying to do is to build a rule UI which a business user without
engineering background of our codebase can work with; the business object we
show on the UI might be different with the real engineering objects already
in system, for example, on the UI a user might be able to able to see
something like person.address.addressLine1 but the actually implementation
might not be an object traverse implementation.

Example, the model could be Long Person.addressId ; then referring to his
address we need another lookup and we want to hide such complexity to the
end user.

The approach we took is to design a translation layer to translate the user
input to drools rule string, is this the right approach?

If not, any suggestions? I know Drools is mainly designed for developers but
just trying to see if there is any way we can work it around.

Thanks and looking forward to your recommendations.

Ivan

-----
Ivan, your Panda, forever