[rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

GPatel at tsys.com GPatel at tsys.com
Wed Nov 16 09:57:38 EST 2011

On hosted mode:

I have the same requirement i.e hosted site with lots of external clients using the same site, it is indeed impractical to deploy a guvnor instance for each client. Overall, from what I have researched, there are two things available to segregate rules by external client: categories and packages, but I decided against using them to achieve client segregation. The approach I have arrived on is to launch the guvnor standalone editor from my website, store the brl in my tables (the standalone editor provides javascript hooks to allow retrieving the rule brl/drl once the rule has been written). Effectively, the only thing stored in the guvnor repository will be the model to enable rule authoring. Originally, I was planning on storing the rules in the guvnor repository and using the rest api to list rule packages (prefixed by clientId) in my site. Since I am able to retrieve the brl/drl anyways (via standalone editor javascript hook, or if that feature were not available, then via rest call immediately after rule has been authored), I decided to store the brl/drl in my app db. Since the rules are stored in my tables, I will have full control over client segregation.

I have done a mini-POC to prove that this will work and it seems like it will, unless an expert on this mailing list can point out showstoppers/potential flaws/shortcomings of this approach.

Hope this helps others who are faced with similar situations.

Thanks
G. Patel