[rules-users] Rules called with null references?

Robert Crawford crawford at kloognome.com
Tue Nov 22 12:45:30 EST 2011

Another clue: these errors nearly disappear when I change garbage collection
settings. I hesitate to say they completely disappear, but in an hour of
running I've only seen one exception thrown from inside Drools code, as
opposed to many dozens before.

The difference is the presence of the options "-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+CMSIncrementalMode". If I run with those, I get activations with null
parameters. Without them, I don't.

I don't think Drools uses WeakReferences for anything, but I haven't been
through all the code. Could something like that be happening? Could the
objects be subjected to GC before the activation is created or fires?

Oh, I've also added an AgendaListenerEvent that examines the activations for
this condition and logs it happening.