[rules-users] Fusion appears to be working properly, but...

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:15:20 EDT 2011

   Unfortunately, it is a hard question to answer, because it is the same as
asking: what is the performance of a database (postgreSQL, Oracle, etc)? It
is totally dependent on the data you load, the queries you write and the
indexes you use.

   So you need to think about overhead and pay-off of using such a
technology. If you are considering performance alone, an nothing else (ease
of rule maintenance, knowledge management lifecycle, time to market,
training costs, etc) and you have 10 rules, the optimizations that the
engine bring into place will probably not pay off in terms of performance
and it would be more performant to write the 10 rules in java. If you have
10k rules, then the optimizations will pay off multiple times and you will
have better performance than coding the rules in java (unless you are coding
your rules like a rules engine compiler does).

   The more rules you have, the more advantage you have using a rules
engine.

   Finally, when talking about high volumes, you will have to think about
horizontal scalability as it vertical scalability is much more expensive to
achieve. Using multiple agents is an easy way to do that, as long as you can
partition your data.

   I can tell you I've personally worked with customers with knowledge bases
in the order of several tens of thousands of rules large, as well as
customers with millions of facts simultaneously in memory. So it is possible
to scale, but the performance of your system will depend on your use case
and the more rules you have, the more benefits you get.

   Edson

2011/10/14 slyfox <bobby.richards at gmail.com>

> ok bad example.
>
> Are there any metrics on drools performance that I could reference?

  Edson Tirelli
  JBoss Drools Core Development
  JBoss by Red Hat @ www.jboss.com