[rules-users] How to handle generics in Drools?

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 05:37:19 EDT 2011

Java's generics are implemented by erasure,
which implies that there no information available at runtime that a
instance of a List is of a certain generic type, for example Boost.
So I don't think this is possible.

Note that some things do work in erasure IIRC, like the generic type of
a defined field in a class is available at runtime:
public class Foo {
   private List<Bar> list;
}
but that's not useful in this case :)

Op 17-10-11 11:30, Martin A schreef:
> Hello,
>
> In my rules file I'd like to set something like this:
>
> rule "mayThrowDice"
>     when
>         $user : User($gp : gameplay)
>         $gameplay(this == $gp)
>     then
>         exists List<Boost>() {
>             ..... some business logic
>         }
> end
>
> But it looks like there is no generics support. How can I make sure
> there is a List of type Boost inserted into the session?
>
> Thank you,
> Martin

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet