[rules-users] [drools planner 5.3.0 Final] cached planning values

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 03:36:13 EDT 2011

Even if you didn't set something properly, it's an issue that planner
crashes without a decent error message.
I created this issue:
   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3265

It's during construction heuristics.
Apparently you got a planning entity which has a planning variable which
has no possible planning values in that ValueRange.
For example: you got a Course which has a room property but when you
look at the value range with the possible Room values, it's empty.
Are you using ValueRangeBySolutionProperty ?

Op 25-10-11 20:37, guyver schreef:
> I get the following exception when i try to solve and don't know if i didn't
> set something properly on my side or if there is a bug in the planner.
>
> After debugging, seems like cachedPlanningValues in PlanningValueCreator is
> being created as an empty collection and when PlanningValueWalker gets
> cachedPlanningValues's iterator and tries to iterate through it then it gets
> a  NoSuchElementException. I am a little confused as to when the
> extractPlanningValues method is called in PlanningValueSelector to get a
> collection of planned values a null is begin passed in instead of a planning
> entity which is responsible for the empty cachedPlanningValues collection.
>
> Any help on this issue will be much appreciated.
>
> java.util.NoSuchElementException
> 	at java.util.AbstractList$SimpleListIterator.next(AbstractList.java:61)
> 	at
> org.drools.planner.core.heuristic.selector.variable.PlanningValueWalker.initWalk(PlanningValueWalker.java:90)
> 	at
> org.drools.planner.core.heuristic.selector.variable.PlanningVariableWalker.initWalk(PlanningVariableWalker.java:104)
> 	at
> org.drools.planner.core.constructionheuristic.greedyFit.decider.DefaultGreedyDecider.decideNextStep(DefaultGreedyDecider.java:58)
> 	at
> org.drools.planner.core.constructionheuristic.greedyFit.DefaultGreedyFitSolverPhase.solve(DefaultGreedyFitSolverPhase.java:62)
> 	at
> org.drools.planner.core.solver.DefaultSolver.runSolverPhases(DefaultSolver.java:166)
> 	at
> org.drools.planner.core.solver.DefaultSolver.solve(DefaultSolver.java:138)

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet