[rules-users] sorting rows/ules fired in a decision table

puja nandamuri med_9501 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 00:41:30 EDT 2011

perhaps my understanding is not complete about the salience use, but ,

lets say,

we have a scenario such as sorting a bunch of reports based on position within the Table  and adding the number of pages from each report cumulatively and then generating a final report with total number of pages. The pages have some logic to them and hence they need to added as per the report rank.

. because I know which report comes after the other, the first time I create the decision table, I have 2 options.

I can just add the reportnames in each row and let the rowNumber be used as the rank. or I can just assign rank using a separate column . I do not know for sure how to use the row.rowNumber meta data as a column.

I create a decision Table with Report.name in the condition and set the Report.rank, report.pages in the action

decision table with Report.reportname as a condition and Report.rank as the action

ReportName   Rank  pages

reportA          1           4

reportB         2            2

reportC        3             6

reportD        4             8

reportE       5              5

based on some previous rules defined in the ruleflow that decide which reports have been created so far, lets say, we end up

reportA,reportD, reportE being inserted into memory.

I need to first sort reportA, reportD and reportE as per the rank  and then add the number of pages (4 + 8+ 5 ) in that order because as per the rank, reportA comes first,  reportD comes next and reportE comes next.

Please ignore the logic as to why pages need to be added so. Its the sorting of reports per the rank that is the issue .

Is there a way to do this kind of sorting of reports as per rank in another rule or can salience be applied in this case?

Also, a second question is , how to use row.rowNumber as the rank to maintain the order of the reports in decision table

Hopefully, my description of the usecase hasnt made it worse than before :)