[rules-users] StatefulSession finalize() memory question

sefarm steve.farmwald at farmwald.net
Thu Apr 19 06:03:31 EDT 2012

I'm just beginning at a project that is using Drools in a Desktop
application, currently V 5.2.0.
This is my first contact with Drools.

My first task was to analyze the application's memory usage.  I noticed that
there were quite a number of
ReteooStatefulSession's hanging around on the Finalizer queue--they never do
get GC'd (at least not in
normal operation).  My question is the motivation for implementing
StatefulSession's with a finalize()
method.  My understanding is that it is best practice to call dispose() in
any case, when finished with the
session.

I built drools-core here locally and removed the finalize() method which had
the desired effect--no Sessions
on the Finalizer queue.

The application uses rules as the logic behind data entry masks.  One rule
per mask type, one session per
mask instance.  There may be several instances of a mask type active at any
time.

Thanks,

Steve