[rules-users] Why is solving a partial puzzle much slower than generating one from scratch?

aitchnyu jesvinj at technovia.co.in
Thu Feb 2 01:19:53 EST 2012

Here is the complete config I used (simulated annealing). I also tried it
with Solution tabu. Simulated annealing gets to the stuck state faster :-)

I am moving on to my main timetabling project; I got deadlines to meet. But
I feel a bit bad about leaving this unsolved. I would like to *send you* the
repo containing my working 2x2 sudoku solver that generates and solves
sudokus, and 3x3 solver that generates well and solves just a few problems.

Hopefully it will make a good standalone (no Swing, AbstractApp,
AbstractPersistable, Xstream and other hoops) *quickstart* for Drools
Planner, at ~500 lines of code that you can include in your documentation.
If heavy-duty constraint satisfaction isnt a strong point for (heuristics
and) Drools, it seems an example worth covering, right?

I, in turn will learn where my approach went wrong.

</constructionHeuristic> -->
  <constructionHeuristic>
    <constructionHeuristicType>FIRST_FIT</constructionHeuristicType>

  </constructionHeuristic>
  <localSearch>
    <selector>

<moveFactoryClass>in.co.technovia.sudoku.solution.RowChangeMoveFactory</moveFactoryClass>
    </selector>
    <acceptor>

<simulatedAnnealingStartingTemperature>8</simulatedAnnealingStartingTemperature>

    </acceptor>
    <forager>
      <minimalAcceptedSelection>20</minimalAcceptedSelection>
    </forager>
  </localSearch>

*For Tabu*
<acceptor>
      <solutionTabuSize>1000</solutionTabuSize>
    </acceptor>