[rules-users] How do I write a rule to detect a missing value in a group of facts?

mikeg mike at thegoldners.com
Thu Feb 9 10:41:06 EST 2012

I need to write a rule to identify a missing element in a group of facts.

For example, let us say I want to ensure that my fence has a fence post
every 8 feet.  My fact declaration is as follows:

declare FencePost
  identifier : String
  distanceFromStart: Long
end

If I add the following facts into my session:

FencePost("a", 0)
FencePost("x", 8)
FencePost("e", 24)

I want a rule that will notify the user that there is a missing fence post
between "x" and "e".

I've been looking into using "collect" into a TreeSet/TreeMap to get a
collection sorted on the "distanceFromStart", but I cannot figure out how to
compare adjacent elements in the collection.

Any ideas?