[rules-users] Performance scaling with fact insertion

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:00:22 EST 2012

There's several things to be noted with the way you've set up these tests.

(1) You run all tests (Logical, Manual, Modify) with all three rules being
in the KnowledgeBase. This means that all insertions result in the creation
of activations for all three rules while firings are restricted using the
agenda filter.

(2) I suppose that you ran the tests, one after the other, as one usually
does using Eclipse/JUnit. It's cleaner to do one test in a single run,
preferably not inside Eclipse.

(3) You should be able to control -Xms and -Xmx from the command line, to
see how heap size increments affect execution times.

(4) Insert facts from Java: This lets you distinguish between the time
required for inserting (i.e., evaluating the conditions and creatign the
agenda) and firing.

Below are the times I've measured using -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M and three DRLs
containing just one rule each.

Test com/rules/PerfTestManual.drl
100000 inserted =     0.245
100000 fired    =     0.282