[rules-users] Regex parsing of drl file versus Visitor pattern

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:38:55 EST 2012

   First it is important to know that you are dealing with internal APIs
here and they can change from version to version, although they haven't
changed much in the latest few versions.

   If you use the DRLParser directly, it will give you an AST-like
descriptor model (root object is a PackageDescr). That model contains info
like line/column of each element in the source file, including the type
declarations. Of course, comments are discarded by the parser, but if you
want to inject/remove stuff you can simply use the position information to
do that in the original file and this way preserve comments and ordering,
etc.

   Edson

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM, mikeg <mike at thegoldners.com> wrote:

> My project uses Drools type declarations with custom annotations that are
> used to assist in the dynamic mapping of underlying domain data to drools
> fact types.
>
> I need to provide a Swing user interface for rule creation that guides the
> user through the custom type declarations, rules, and functions.  Guvnor
> doesn't seem to be a good fit.
>
> I've looked at drools-verifier (and the older DrlDumper class) and its use
> of the Visitor pattern to traverse a rule package, but it is a lot of work
> to implement just for the type declaration enhancements.  Producing
> identical DRL to the imported file seems difficult.  Also, any inline
> comments and formatting is lost.
>
> Alternatively, I could parse (via regex patterns) the DRL to extract the
> type declarations, rules, and functions and then reconstruct the complete
> package file.  This seems simpler, though brittle. Also, the regex gets
> complicated when attempting to get extended information (metadata,
> annotations, etc.).
>
> Any thoughts on either approach?  Is there an easier way to process a rules
> file into a simple data model that doesn't lose the original DRL syntax?

  Edson Tirelli
  JBoss Drools Core Development
  JBoss by Red Hat @ www.jboss.com