[rules-users] Drools Planner: Vehicle routing problems

davidglassborow dave at conceptfirst.com
Fri Feb 24 10:09:04 EST 2012

Hi,
      as discussed the other day with Ge0ffrey on IRC, I've been trying to
get some vehicle routing done using the new TSP / chaining functionality in
drools planner.

I've written an example, but am having problems with the chaining of jobs
together.  After pulling my hair out, I've put together an example into my
fork of planner, showing a simplified example of how I am approaching it,
and the problem that can be replicated.

https://github.com/davidglassborow/drools-planner/tree/vehicle_routing

It is a very simple console app along the same lines as the hello world
example for NQueens.

On running it will print out the chains, and you will see the some Jobs
appear more than once in the same list.

On the planning variable it seems to be get assigned in front of itself,
I've put some notes in the source, and checked that the same doesn't occur
in your TSP example.

I'm not sure if its a bug in the way I've setup things, or whether its an
issue in the chain move code.

Greatly appreciated if anybody in the know gets a chance to have a look.
Thanks,
David