[rules-users] Slinding window !

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:42:01 EST 2012

   Yes, the misunderstanding is that an expiration is not a retract.
Expiration does not cancel an activation. Retract does. So if you received
an event dated T1, it match your pattern and the rule will activate. Then
you receive event dated T3 and your rule activates again for the new event.
Then when the clock advances to T4, the event at T1 expires and will not
create any **new** matches for the rule, but it respects the activation
that was **already created**. Then you fireAllRules() at time T4 and it
will fire the 2 existing activations.

   This happens because of the 2-phase execution of the engine and the need
to unify the semantics of event processing and rules processing. Imagine
that the engine was, because of forward chaining, executing a long sequence
of high priority activations that prevented the rule in discussion of being
fired at time T1...T3. Only at T4 the engine had CPU cycles to execute the
rule for event T1. If event expiration would cancel the activation, the
engine would completely miss the rule execution because of lack of
processing power. This is an extreme example, but perfectly illustrates
what happens with events that expire immediately or within a few
milliseconds.

   The application can also be designed to run in cycles, waiting as much
as it wants to fireAllRules(), because it is guaranteed that it will not
miss any events because of that.

   On the other hand, if you were running the engine with fireUntilHalt(),
after inserting event T1, the activation would be created and fired asap.

Key point: expiration != retraction

   Hope it helps,
     Edson