[rules-users] Extracting management information from the content of the rules

Davide Sottara dsotty at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:55:02 EST 2012

As I suspected - or feared :)
Two issues here: Drools creates an abstract model for the LHS but not for
the RHS. This mean that extracting the discount from the RHS will be doable,
but hardly elegant.
The other is that you want to meta-reason on the rules. Drools verifier
might indeed give you ideas. It is a tool to extract a meta-representation
of a rule and process that as a fact, using meta-rules.
Unfortunately, you would have to write your own analysis and reporting
meta-rules.

Given the nature of your constraints, it seems that they would be equivalent
- or close enough - to a decision tree/table. We already generate rules from
DTs: I mentioned to manstis the possibility of supporting the inverse
transformation. It's not too hard, but will not probably be ready and
available in Guvnor before the next version. Keep chasing him, if this would

In alternative, maybe the "Monte Carlo" approach could be used: generate a
huge amount of random objects, process them, serialize them with their
original and final price and finally use some data mining tool (R, weka,
knime, etc..).

Other options (constraint propagation, semantic classification, etc..) might
require to modify the rules, so I'm not sure that they would be feasible at
all. We can discuss if interested, of course.